Connecticut Affidavit Concerning Military Service

To get a Connecticut nonmilitary affidavit, you must comply with Connecticut state laws and requirements. In Connecticut, the document is usually titled an Affidavit Concerning Military Service (Form JD-FM-178).  What are these laws and requirements, and how do you get Connecticut nonmilitary affidavits? If you engage the services of the right agency to help you — one with experience in federal and military rules and regulations — it’s easy.

If an individual or business plans to file suit against a debtor, they must be sure this person is not on active duty in the military, or in some cases, was not active at the time the debt was incurred or the contract was signed. This federal law is called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. The Act protects servicemembers from litigation when they are deployed and consequently unable to respond properly, if at all.

Connecticut Military AffidavitConnecticut Courts Require Nonmilitary Affidavits

Regardless of whether a defendant shows up for a court date in Connecticut, in order to move forward, the plaintiff must submit a nonmilitary affidavit. A default judgment awarded without this document can result in courts levying fines and other penalties on the person who brought the suits.

In order to ensure SCRA compliance, courts often require proof that the litigant has checked the defendant’s military status. Plus, the court may take action to protect the person. Even if a court does not require one, an affidavit is a helpful document to have. An affidavit shows that the plaintiff has done his or her due diligence.

Once Connecticut courts have a Connecticut Affidavit Concerning Military Service proving whether the defendant is on active duty, your case can move ahead. If you discover that he or she is on active duty, you can still pursue your case. But you must follow a different path and get a court order first.

Even starting the process of foreclosure without a military affidavit could violate the SCRA. In Connecticut in particular, even if the servicemember entered into the mortgage before deployment, mortgage holders cannot foreclose without a court order. Without a court order, the process cannot start until at least 90 days after the end of the servicemember’s deployment.

How to Get a an Affidavit Concerning Military Service

Not procuring active-duty status verification can spell trouble for banks, lenders, landlords, car dealerships, and anyone who does business with military personnel. Getting a Connecticut military affidavit can be confusing and time-consuming. But you can use a service that can get you the documents you need, usually within one business day.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Centralized Verification Service uses the Defense Department’s Defense Manpower Data Center to ascertain active-duty status. We then prepare a Connecticut military affidavit for you. This helps lenders, debt collectors, landlords, storage operators, repossession companies,  and others often who do not have the time to chase down all the paperwork associated with litigation.

Connecticut courts may require specific forms.  We keep a library of these here on our site. You can select a Connecticut form in a drop-down box.  Our goal is to keep this forms library of local courts’ affidavits and certificates up to date. If you find that our drop-down box of forms is missing your local form or has an out-of-date form, send us a .pdf of the form you would like us to add. By doing so, you will be doing yourself, other users, and us a great favor. Note that `you need to be logged in to click the link.

If you are planning to file suit against someone in Connecticut, depend on SCRACVS for Connecticut nonmilitary affidavits. It will make the process infinitely easier.